Monday, February 14, 2011

Building a Seismograph Part 2

Part 2- Design and Build
1. Using what you learned from the seismograph model in Part 1, develop your own design for a seismograph. Your seismograph should be able to
• Record vibrations continuously for 30 seconds
• Produce a seismogram that can distinguish between gentle and strong earthquakes
• Record seismic readings consistently from trial to trial
2. Sketch your design on a sheet of paper. The make a list of the materials you will need. Materials might include a heavy weight, a roll of paper, a pen, wood blocks, wood woeles, and duct tape.


My Google Sketch-up seismograph (front)
Side View
Side Diagonal
Part 3
  1. Test your seismograph in a series of simulated earthquakes of different strengths. Evaluate how well your seismograph functions. Does it meet the criteria? Make note of any problems.
This is a close up picture of my seismograph showing the pen in the ruler.
I think that my seismograph meets the criteria, the ruler that kept the pen in place really helped the fact that the pen had to be stable. My seismograph was able to keep time for more than 30 seconds, it kept time for about 58 seconds (that was on my second try). My first try I held a time of 30 seconds, the first 15 seconds I went soft and the last 15 seconds I moved the book vigorously. I could definitely see the difference between the big earthquake and the small earthquake. 

  1. Based on your tests, decide how you could improve the design of you seismograph.
I think that I could have used a bigger hole for the ruler, it is big enough for a little pen, but if it was a little bigger then the pen would fit perfectly. Also if I had a strip of paper that was wider, I found that when I was shaking the book as hard as I could the pen would go off the paper and onto the book.

Analyze and Conclude
  1. Evaluating: What problems or shortcomings did you encounter with the seismographs you tested in Part 1? Why do you think these problems occurred?
 Also if I had a strip of paper that was wider, I found that when I was shaking the book as hard as I could the pen would go off the paper and onto the book. Other than that I think that I had a sold test. Next time I will just cut the strip a little wider.
     2. Designing a Solution: How did you incorporate what you learned in Part 1 into your seismograph design in Part 2?

The ruler is a clear ruler, it is hard to see in this picture, but it is there.
In part one I learned that there is a big difference to the seismograph when it is shaken back and forth and side to side. The waves of the seismograph are a lot clearer when you move the book side to side. This time I only shook the book from side to side, I did not shake it back and forth. I also stabilized the way I held the pen, instead of holding it with my hand, I connected a tissue box and ruler to hold the pen. This was it is a lot more stable and more reliable. 

  3. Troubleshooting: As you designed, built and tested your seismograph, what problems did you encounter? How did you solve these problems?

At first it was hard to correctly stabilize the pen with just the tissue box and tape, but after I remembered that the ruler I had in my hand had a hole big enough to fit a pen inside, everything seemed to fall into place.






  4. Working with Design Constraints: What limitations did factors such as gravity, materials, costs,time, or other factors place on the design and functions of your seismograph? How did you solve these problems?

One of my main goals for this experiment was to make a seismograph out of all homemade materials, things that I didn't have to buy. I wanted this project to be completely out of recycled materials. Because of the recycled materials, I don't think it would have predicted a real earthquake, but it still would be cool to make a real seismograph out of recycled things that actually recorded the earths crusts movement!

Evaluation the Impact on Society: Why is it important for scientists around the world to have access to accurate and durable seismograph?


Seismographs are extremely important for every country to have, whether or not the country is very likely to have a earthquake or not. I think that every country should have a seismograph because at least they can help other countries/cities become more prepared for natural disasters like earthquakes. Like many people say: You'd better be safe than sorry!













1 comment:

  1. Good job Blaise! The sketches you made and your final product were of excellent quality. You are very clear in your instructions and reasoning why you needed to modify your seismograph. The seismograph design was very good and could clearly make a seismogram.

    ReplyDelete